Friday, September 11, 2009

Less is more

Sam was struggling on her first 4 days at the new school. She goes to school complete with the screaming, tears, the tantrums and all the wonderful-sweetness-(almost) a 3 year old has. But on the 5th day, it was like a button we forgot to push, it was suddenly come together. It was so weird, she suddenly decided to stop screaming. With a pure joy of her teacher and the thrilled of her assistant teacher, she was cheered by them and the Principal each morning. She LOVES it.

Now, the new adventure begins: riding the bus. Ah yes, for the past month school has been a fun place to go for her and she is actually looking forward to it. I thought I really don't want to jinx it by sending her to school by bus. But no, she is anxious to ride the bus and doesn't want to do anything else in the morning but sit on the porch waiting for her bus. She doesn't even want me to walk her to our gate to ride her bus.

As parents as I'm sure you are all feel the same whether your kids have enough food at school. So, I have this habit to feed my girl some snacks after school or get her new things to make her feel better. I know, I have a horribly sensitive guilt button that works even before anybody is 'thinking' about pushing. But come on! She left at 8.30 and isn't coming home until 3.15 p.m!

And then she said it. "No, mama. Enough!" She doesn't want anymore stickers I have for her. It was like a wake up call for me from my sweet girl.

To make long story short, I strangely started to think about how (almost) empty our new house is and I kinda like it. And the more I ponder, the more how grateful I will be if State Department accidentally loose our stuff from Medan somewhere in the sea. I don't know where to put them all because we have such a limited space here.

It is not that having more is bad or wrong, its just the desire to have more and more and more is insatiable. And as long as you think more is better, you will never be happy. I think.

No comments: